Thursday

I Should Have Known Better

My friend set me up on a blind date last night. My friend has a big, wonderful heart, but his thoughts just aren't running on all cylinders. He is one of my artsy friends. And I value him, but I am frequently frustrated when he misuses words, or makes statements such as "British actors just seem to be deeper, you know, more intelligent." (Except when they lose the accent for an "American" part, right?)


So, I should have known better when he tried to set me up on a blind date: "AH, I've got the perfect person for you! I just know you two are going to click. I'm sorry I'm pushing this so hard, but when I know two people that are just so...so perfect for each other, I just want to make it happen."

Date came over.

Scrabble board came out (I'm still poor).

Words my date tried to use on said board:

totel (total)
nosel (nozzle)
tech
diggin

and for the grande finale, three-fourths into the game, he tried to put three tiles at the top of the board, unconnected to any other word, and actually started to count up his points.

I was finally successful in wrapping up the game and politely sending him away, and immediately called my friend:

Me: "Why in the hell would you think that we would be perfect for each other??? That was painful!"

Friend: "Well, you both like jazz music a lot."

Me: "Really? That's it? That was this mysterious connection which destined us to be together forever and ever? He liked jazz???"

Okay, so I wasn't that rude to Friend...I mean, he tried to do a good thing. But the experience served to reinforce that with each friend I have, I emphasize one or two interests/characterstics, etc. I emphasize music with Friend, because he's no brain-child, but we do have similar musical tastes. And we have fun getting drunk together. So there, music and beer. I'm sure he saw his friend and thought, "Hey, HE likes music and beer! I gotta get these two kids together!!!"

totely.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home