Thursday

I Believe I Can Fly

Well, not anymore, but I did for a while.

In college, I had a recurring dream in which I was able to suspend myself in air. I simply jumped up, and then began twisting around in circles, somehow keeping my feet from touching the ground. This dream recurred so frequently that I began to live with the innate knowledge that yes, I could fly. I didn't actively think about it; it's akin to just knowing that you could outrun a toddler. You don't think about it, reason it out, or boast to others of this ability; you simply live with the knowledge that yes, in a life or death situation with a toddler and a knife, you could get away.

Then, one day, my conscious self and subconscious self began chattering to one another:

SS: Guess what we can do!
CS: What?
SS: We can sooo fly!
CS: That's improbable.
SS: No, really. Just jump up and twist around in circles. We'll be able to levitate!
CS: I'm sorry, but that just isn't going to work. I've taken physics, and there are some flaws with your thinking.
SS: No, no, I've seen it!
CS: Was this one of your dreams again?
SS: Ah, crap.

This happens a lot--where I don't know if something is true, or it has been dreamt. Sadly--or luckily--not everything is so obvious as the ability to fly...So as my memories fade and my dreams become more vivid, CS and SS are likely to trade furniture, and I rarely know if I'm sitting in a real chair (or floating on a magic carpet).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home