Friday

More on me and my pal, Music.

My brain is constantly running. Can't help it. As I commuted today, trusty ipod companion in tow, my brain started running about Invisible Man. There's a passage on page 379 that says "but things are so unreal for them normally that they believe that to call a thing by name is to make it so." And I started

WHAP

Stevie Wonder's "As" came on. That song doesn't allow you to think about other things when it's on. It demands to be positive space.

What do you mean, Slick?

Well, most of the time for most people, music is negative space; part of the background, the props, the context, etc. It's not a demanding active participant. It's structuring some part of the periphery, but never deigns to step into the forefront of experience.
I think most of the music I've been listening to the last 20 years has been of this sort. Turn it on, tune it out. Odd, but true. Oh, but there's more. When music became background, I sought out music for its ability to provide ambience. Sooo, Edith Piaf, you know your place. I turn you on, and I feel I'm in 1950's Italy (not Paris--I don't know why), and red wine and academic gossip with other ladies is the proper activity. So, I turn it on when I have the ladies over for afternoon brunch and drinks. I pull out Edith as a prop. Miles Davis, I love you. But Kind of Blue makes me kind of pretentious. I should be reading a book, curled up in my chair, a cat in my lap (I don't even own a goddamn cat). Oooh, and if I had a smoking jacket (Lord knows I've had the cigarettes), then Love Supreme. And that's exactly what I put on the turntable when that's what I want to do.

Anyway. Now that my musical library has grown exponentially, there are quite a few selections which have disrupted this habit of mine. Miles Davis, Jack Johnson. How do you listen to that first heartbreaking solo, just filled with anxiety and gravity and grit, as background music?? You can't.

And when Nina asks for someone to Save her, well, hell, I'm putting on my cape, Nina, and flying out to heed your call. Well, not really. But I'm absolutely arrested. No other thoughts are intruding into our time together.

Now, maybe Kelly Clarkson touches your soul and pierces into the forefront of your consciousness, and if so, God Bless you (or God Save you). whatever. I'm not trying to tell you what music to listen to. Just wondering if other people have ever noticed this distinction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home