Tuesday

First thoughts

You know what I miss? Good quality instructional break dance videos. Now, if you have a rather pathetic, but preferrably non-chain video store, I suggest you try to rent "Breakin' USA". It's a 1982 instructional breaking video.

I grew up in a small town. Well, the first small town was population 1200; when we moved to the thriving metropolis with, gasp, a population of 5,000, complete with fast food restaurants RIGHT IN TOWN, my brother and I exclaimed with sincere excitement, "We're going to live in the city!" But I digress.

Small town, small video store. Don't be tryin' to find yourself those "artsy" videos--you'll face severe disappointment. But, should you find yourself in need of a splendid collection of 80's faves (think "The Dark Crystal", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", etc), you've found your video candy store.

I was home for Christmas break from college, and, well, it gets snowy in Indiana. REAL snowy. Right before the snow emergency was declared (and thus, all of the townspeople confined to their homes), my friend and I went to said video store and found "Breakin' USA." We quickly changed into our breakin' clothes--'cause when you're about to get down, you want to be able to move freely--and popped the video in.

As all of you know, I'm sure, this video ain't no Jane Fonda work-out. Those moves take much more strength and coordination than I ever imagined one person could possess. Especially the "kick out" move.

The kick out move is where one takes on the "crab position" (sit down, bend your knees, lean back on the palms of you hand, and stick your pelvis in the air), and then proceeds to rock to and fro, eventually simultaneously kicking out your right leg while throwing up your left arm.

Now, my friend and I can dance. I mean dance well.

We could not kick out. Rather, we kicked each other numerous times, and the video's narrator was frequently interrupted with "OW!" "HEY!" "WTF??" "Oh, my RIBS!"

About 13 promising bruises and a sprained wrist later, we decided to settle for learning the scarecrow.

Anyway, I often think about this video, and how I'd like to kick its ass like it kicked mine. And I really, really yearn to master that kick out move 8 years later. Alas, I live in a real city now with an astonishing plethora of fast food restaurants, but not one instructional break dance video.

Sigh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home